Thursday, July 27, 2006

Day 6 - 9

Well, I am sitting here in my hotel room in Baton Rouge, LA and finally have some downtime to update the blog. On Monday, I visited The Pennsylvania State University (first picture) where I met with 2 grad students and 4 professors of their Geography Department. I had a very good visit at the University and it is definitely my current first choice. The flight was uneventful both ways with no DC interception and gorgeous views. At lunch in State College, PA, I learned the local custom for eating a cheesesteak is to dip it in marinara sauce. It is actually pretty good.














Tuesday I spent the day walking around DC. I had breakfast at the Old Ebbit Grill right next to the White House (Dubya was away) and ventured out into the National Mall afterwards. I walked down to the Air and Space museum where I looked around for new additions since the last time I visited... found one: Spaceship One.






















Wednesday I took off from the DC area and headed down to Knoxville, TN via Greenbriar Valley, West Virginia. WV is very scenic as are the whole of the Appalachians. After spending the night with a friend, I took off from Knoxville Downtown Island airport and overflew the UT (Tennessee) campus and the Tennessee river.
















My next stop was Meridian, MS for fuel and a quick bite to eat. On my way, I flew over The University of Alabama. I really saw some huge football schools on my flight who all have a National Championship or two (or three... four.... five...)... UT, PSU, UT, Bama.
After my stop in Meridian, I went up intending to go to Lake Charles, LA. Well, the buildups looked too iffy, so I diverted to Baton Rouge and will spend the night here. Tomorrow, I will leave in the morning, stop in Lake Charles for a po-boy, then make my way back to San Marcos. The progs look pretty good and it should be a clear and smooth flight.

No comments: